At the Y, we believe in freely offering the gift of hope to the people in our community who are experiencing or have experienced cancer.
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA allows cancer survivors the opportunity to come to the Y to heal. We provide people facing cancer with a safe, loving and caring environment. Cancer knows no boundaries, but we believe in the strength of community and that every survivor deserves unconditional support, a chance to belong and an opportunity to feel “normal” as they regain their strength.
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is a free, 12-week program designed to meet the needs of adults with cancer before, during and after treatment. It is a proven, evidence and research based program that empowers cancer survivors to take an active role in their own health by engaging in a strength and conditioning program at their local Y. Focusing on health, rather than the disease, LIVESTRONG® at the Y helps cancer survivors move beyond illness to reclaim wellness in spirit, mind and body.
- Survivors meet for 90 minutes twice a week for 12 weeks to begin building a healthy lifestyle and learn to support one another.
- All Instructors have national exercise certifications and specific training in cancer exercise through the National YMCA and the LIVESTRONG Foundation.
- LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA instructors will develop a plan based on the needs of the participant that incorporates cardiovascular exercise, resistance training, balance, and flexibility.
- Additional goals include reducing the severity of side effects, managing unwanted weight changes, and improving energy levels.
- A final goal of the program is to assist participants in developing their own physical fitness program so they can continue to practice a healthy lifestyle.
- The program is free and available to adults ages 18 and over. The cost of the program is underwritten by the YMCA and our generous donors. If you would like to support this program, please click here to donate.
- Non-Y Members will be given a complimentary family membership during the 12 weeks. Family members or caregivers on the membership are encouraged to focus on their well-being through exercise or walking, etc., while the survivor attends class.
Why LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA?
Medical studies have shown that moderate levels of appropriate physical activity can reduce fatigue, boost self-esteem and improve muscle strength and physical endurance in individuals following cancer treatment. Cancer survivors are increasingly aware of the positive impact that moderate physical activity, supportive relationships and stress reduction techniques can have on their quality of life. LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA has helped thousands of cancer survivors move beyond cancer in spirit, mind and body.
JOIN A LIVESTRONG GROUP NEAR YOU IN 2018:
88 Remick Blvd. Springboro, OH 45066
Sessions Beginning: January 15, April 6, September 10, November 30
316 N. Wilkinson Street Dayton, OH 45402
Sessions Beginning: April 9
300 S. Central Ave. Fairborn, OH 45324
Tel: 937 754-9622
Sessions Beginning: March 5
1200 W. National Road. Englewood, OH 45315
Sessions Beginning: January 23, May 21, September 18
Preble County YMCA:
450 Washington-Jackson Road. Eaton, OH 45320
Sessions Beginning: February 6, June 4, September 17
4545 Marshall Road. Kettering, OH 45429
Sessions Beginning: April 16, September 5
West Carrollton YMCA:
900 S. Alex Road. West Carrollton, OH 45449
Sessions Beginning: September 18
135 E. Church St. Xenia, OH 45385
Sessions Beginning: September 10
Y AT THE HEIGHTS:
7251 Shull Rd. Huber Heights, OH 45424
Sessions Beginning: February 5, June 4, September 10