YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program
The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program helps those at high risk adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles and reduce their chances of developing type 2 diabetes. The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program.
YDPP is based on the landmark Diabetes Prevention Program funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which showed that by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a small amount of weight, a person with pre-diabetes can prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes by 58%.
In a classroom setting, a trained lifestyle coach will help you change your lifestyle by learning about healthy eating, physical activity and other behavior changes over the course of 16 one-hour sessions. Topics covered include nutrition, getting started with physical activity, overcoming stress, staying motivated, and more. After the initial 16 core sessions, you will meet monthly for up to a year for added support to help them maintain their progress.
Diabetes Prevention Program Goals:
- Reduce body weight by 7 %
- Gradually increase physical activity to at least 150 minutes per week
How can I particpate?
Program participants must meet the following criteria:
- Adults 18+
- Overweight (BMI > 25)*
- At risk for or have been diagnosed with prediabetes† confirmed via a qualifying risk score OR a previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes OR one of three blood tests:
- Fasting Plasma Glucose between 100 – 125 mg/dL
- 2-hour (75 gmglucola) Plasma Glucose between 140-199 mg/dL
- A1c between 5.7% and 6.4%
Individuals who have already been diagnosed with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes do not qualify for this program.
A combination of risk factors such as family history, weight, gestational diabetes, age, etc., may also put you at high risk. To take the risk quiz, click here.
Contact Ali Schulze:
- To find out more about the program
- To learn when a group will start in your area
- To schedule a presentation about the YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program
- To host the program
- To register or to find out if you are eligible
Financial assistance is available for those who qualify.
*Asian individuals (BMI > 22)
†Individuals who have already been diagnosed with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes do not qualify for this program
Choose the file below to view YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program related press releases:
- 2013 Natl Diabetes Awarness Provider [47.96 KB] [2013-10-30]