Outdoor Aquatic Attendant, Huber Heights YMCA, Huber Heights, OH
YMCA of Greater Dayton
Posting Expiration Date: April 12, 2013
Under the direction of the Program Director and in accordance with the Christian nature and purpose of the YMCA of Greater Dayton, the Outdoor Aquatic Attendant’s primary functions will be to provide excellent guest services at the outdoor aquatic location including but not limited to admissions, concessions, and special events. The Event Attendant is responsible for ensuring that guests’ needs are met, as well as keeping safety as a first priority.
The incumbent must have the competencies, relationship building skills, and proven leadership ability to successfully carry out his/her duties in accordance with the YMCA’s mission and strategic plan of the association for serving the community. An understanding of the YMCA as a membership driven organization is a must. Other important competencies of the Outdoor Aquatic Attendant include the following:
- Responsible for cash register operations to include accurately collecting and depositing admission money, issuing season passes and selling concessions. Makes change and issues receipts or admission passes to guests.
- Greets guests and answers questions; responds to inquiries from employees, guests and others and refers, when necessary, to the appropriate staff.
- Oversees lost and found operations.
- Prevents accidents and allows for the enjoyment of all guests through the fair and consistent enforcement of policies, rules, and regulations governing the conduct of individuals using the aquatic facility.
- Assists in the stocking and cleaning of the concession area.
- Responsible for preparing concession food items in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Assists in the implementation of special events.
- Works cooperatively with Program Director and other staff, to ensure quality of the outdoor aquatic area.
- Is responsible for aspects of the event including appearance, safety, and equipment.
- Possesses working knowledge of child abuse and neglect laws and follows proper reporting procedures.
- Monitors and assists in maintaining the cleanliness of the aquatic facility.
- Provide tours to potential guests upon request.
- Displays excellent telephone skills.
- Attends scheduled staff meetings, staff activities and ongoing trainings.
- Knows and administers the appropriate EAP (emergency action plan) for any situation, including first aid or CPR, etc.
- Proactively solves problems.
- Remains knowledgeable about member information and programs.
- Communicates to direct supervisor any concerns, needed repairs, or incidents that may need follow-up.
- Communicates any suggestions to improve programs and facilities.
- Takes an active role in the annual Strong Kids Campaign.
- Is courteous and gives sincere attention to members/parents by answering questions.
- Knows the names of parents, participants and guests and uses their names when speaking with them.
- Upholds guidelines as outlines in the Employee Handbook of the Association
- Carries out other duties as assigned by the Program Director and Management Staff.
Education and Certifications – High school diploma or GED strongly preferred. CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant, Blood Bourne Pathogens, New Employee Orientation, and Child Abuse Prevention training is required within the first 90 days of employment.
Experience – Six months or more of related customer service experience required. Knowledge and familiarity with YMCA facilities is a plus.
Skills and Abilities – With an understanding of the YMCA organization, persons in this position must be able to handle multiple tasks and be a motivated, self-starter. Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills. Must possess excellent problem solving skills. Must display sound judgment and initiative as well as independent thinking skills and a positive attitude. Must be able to work independently, as well as a part of the staff team. A willingness and ability to see what needs to be done and do it. Must have the ability to get along with people of diverse backgrounds. Good customer service skills with the ability to communicate with people at all levels are required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is regularly required to stand and walk for long periods of time, to talk and hear, to sit, to lift and/or move up to 40 pounds, to climb or balance, to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to communicate on the telephone and work outdoors in the sun for an extended period of time.