Membership Sales Specialist, Huber Heights YMCA, Huber Heights, OH
YMCA of Greater Dayton
Posting Expiration Date: April 12, 2013
$7.85 – $8.00/Hour
Under the direction of the Branch Executive Director and in accordance with the Christian nature and purpose of the YMCA of Greater Dayton, the Membership Sales Specialist is responsible for coordinating all records, service systems, and events as they pertain to the recruitment and retention of members in the YMCA.
The incumbent must have the competencies, relationship building skills, and proven leadership ability to successfully carry out his/her duties in accordance with the YMCA’s mission and strategic plan of the association for serving the community. Other important competencies of the Membership Sales Specialist include the following:
- Plans, designs, evaluates, and implements all aspects of the membership function of the Branch, in accordance with YMCA of the USA and YMCA of Greater Dayton guidelines.
- Maintains a working knowledge of membership types and rate structures; including short term memberships and membership payment options.
- Maintains accurate records and is accountable for all data generated by user error.
- Able to function within the MemberST operating system for the purpose if sales, monitoring, and basic accounting information.
- Searches and records all tours and guest activity in MemberST and other internal tracking systems.
- Responsible for implementing Association standards regarding financial assistance approval and renewal.
- Processes and maintains accurate membership termination records.
- Inquires with terminated members the reason for termination and follows-up via verbal communication to reflect the YMCA’s interest in recapturing their membership. If not done at time of member requested termination, this shall be done within 3 business days of the termination being submitted.
- Communicates with members in a clear, precise and tactful manner regarding terminations, refunds and other association business practices.
- Responsible for complying with all association processes and responding in a timely manner to monthly Operation Center reports
- Implementing, maintaining and recording the distribution of anniversary cards and guest passes.
- Builds relationships with members, program participants and community partners.
- Maintains working knowledge of other branch departments and provides responsive service to requests from members, program members and community partners of those other departments as well.
- Is courteous and gives sincere attention to members by answering questions and providing positive and regular feedback to program participants.
- Develops and coordinates membership retention practices of the branch.
- Develops, implements, and monitors action plan for the achievement of monthly prospect, appointment, membership sales, and membership retention goals.
- Implements and maintains membership-marketing plan.
- Promotes programs by development and distribution of marketing and communications materials in compliance with Association standards.
- Assist Membership Director in planning and implementing special events that promote membership sales and retention.
- Provides excellent member service in both phone and in-person communications and interactions.
- Maintains accurate records for the membership function, facility, and staff.
- Knows and administers the appropriate EAP (emergency action plan) for any situation, including first aid or CPR, work-related employee injuries, etc.
- Completes incident and accident reports as required.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary environment and meets all state and local licensing requirements.
- Inspects equipment within membership area for safety hazards, damage or wear.
- Communicates any suggestions to improve the branch operations.
- Monitors and assists in maintaining the cleanliness of membership area.
- Communicates to supervisor any concerns or incidents that may need follow-up.
- Knows the names of members and uses their names when speaking with them.
- Remains visible to participants when on duty.
- Increases member and program participant awareness of healthy lifestyle factors.
- Actively participates on the “Strong Kids” campaign as assigned.
- Participates on membership task team of the association.
- Upholds guidelines as outlined in the Employee Handbook of the Association.
- Attends designated trainings.
- Must be outgoing, friendly, and knowledgeable.
- Must be able to form connected relationships with members and guests.
- Must be able to display a positive healthy spirit that is encouraging to others.
- Must be able to work flexible schedule for the purpose of meeting branch goals.
- Carries out other duties as assigned by the membership Director, Executive Director or Management Staff.
Education and Certifications – A 2-year college degree or applicable experience is required; 4 year degree strongly preferred. Certification requirements include: CPR/AED the Professional Rescuer, First Aid, Blood Bourne Pathogens, New Employee Orientation, and Child Abuse Prevention training is required within first 90 days of employment. Blood Bourne Pathogens and Child Abuse Prevention must be renewed every 12 months.
Experience - This individual should have a minimum of 1 year of experience in customer service systems, procedures, and guidelines; sales experience strongly desired.
Skills and Abilities – With an understanding of the YMCA mission as well as the goals and objectives of the strategic plan of the Association, this person must be able to implement programs in accordance with YMCA of the USA standards. Must be able to handle multiple tasks and must be a creative, motivated, self-starter. Must have ability to lead and motivate others. Must be able to project enthusiasm to other staff and program participants. Must display sound judgment as well as independent thinking skills. Must be able to work independently as well as with a staff team. Must be able to provide quality programs and activities for a variety of ages. The person in this position must have excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills. Must possess excellent relationship building and negotiation skills in order to maintain harmonious relationships with staff, members, volunteers, program participants, and the general public. Computer skills needed, particularly with Microsoft Office and email applications. The incumbent must exhibit the core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility in all aspects of their work with the YMCA.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is regularly required to stand and walk for long periods of time, to talk and hear, to sit, to lift and/or move up to 40 pounds, to climb or balance, to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.